The summer is an exciting time to look forward to. You can get to the lighter, cuter clothes that have been hiding away for several months, and you get to play outside in the warm weather on some fun vacations. However, it also requires a quality, steady skin care regimen. This includes sunscreen, a face mask, gentle cleansers, moisturizers, and exfoliating face scrubs. Even more, it is helpful to minimize your time in the sun to prevent it from damaging your skin.
The summer may be an easy time to let up on the makeup, and it could seem easy to be moisturized with the oily nature of your skin in the heat. But watch out for the assumptions you can make in the summer months. It is important to watch out for the effects of the summer weather on your skin, both the sun and the humidity, and other toxins and pollutants in the air.
Several tips are available to help keep your skin healthy during the summer months. You can start by remembering that the air is much heavier with the heat and humidity, so it’s helpful to remember to lighten up on the materials you place on your skin. For example, your typical cleanser may be heavier and oily, so it’s a good idea to switch to a gentler, foaming one. Be cautious of photoactive topical ingredients like moisturizers and makeup since they react to sunlight. So, check the items you use regularly, and look into using moisturizers that include sunscreen and can help protect your skin.
Here are some helpful daily and weekly tips to care for your skin in the summer weather:
- Wear broad-spectrum sunscreen daily – It may be a natural response when going to the beach or pool, but every time you head outside, it’s a need. UV rays can be damaging to your skin, especially when you start to sweat in the heat, and sunscreen is important all the time.
- Clear off oily skin with a face mask – This can help clear your pores of dirt, oils, and other impurities that gather in the weighty summer air. Even more, the sweating that occurs in the summer and the sun’s shining can help calm the appearance. A quick 10-15 minutes on and then rinse off just a few times a week, and this mask can keep your skin looking pure.
- Use gentle cleanser morning and night – With the humidity and impurities in the air, you can build up all kinds of stuff on your face even while you sleep. So a quick wash in the morning when you get ready can help refresh your skin along with the usual wash at night while you settle in. It can help keep your skin smooth and clean at all hours, along with helping to thoroughly take your makeup off like usual.
- Don’t skip out on moisturizer – Despite the oil that may seem moisturizing, it’s important to use healthy moisturizers after you wash your face. In the summer, moisturizers for oily skin are often lighter in weight, can help with longer moisture, and have less oil in them. A lot of them naturally have an SPF as well, so you will already walk out of the house in the morning with sunscreen on your face. You can even stay hydrated naturally to help your skin by drinking plenty of water throughout the day, which is also good for your overall health in the summer with the sweating that takes place.
- Exfoliate weekly – It is still important to exfoliate to clear the impurities from your pores and the dead cells that collect on the surface of your skin. It doesn’t need to be as harsh of a scrub as in the winter with your drier skin, and you don’t have to scrub as hard or long as you do then, but it’s still important.
With all of this, it’s still hard to keep a healthy glow without over-shining as a result of the sun. And sometimes, it’s hard not to dry out from all the sweating that can happen from being out in the heat. Take caution of your lips and how they can dry out at times and keep lip balm with you in the summer. Also, treat all sunburns with aloe vera as soon as you see them so they don’t blister and peel. Take care of all areas of your skin in the summer to remain healthy!